4/9/09

Matty Reed and Andy Potts do it again

MATTY REED USES A RECORD RUN TO OVERCOME EARLY ASTHMA ATTACK AND WIN THE IRONMAN CALIFORNIA 70.3
Reed and fellow Suunto teammate Andy Potts finish 1-2 for second straight race

A record run caps off a come-from-behind victory for Matty Reed at the Ironman California in Oceanside. Reed smashed the run course record by 1 Min 27 Sec on way to his second victory of the season.
It didn’t come easy for Matty. He lost his goggles and cap after getting kicked during the swim. He then suffered an asthma attack and fell way behind the field. Reed almost dropped out at that point, but regained his composure and fought all the way back for the victory.

“I’m happy to get the win after a tough start,” says Matty. “I got nailed at about 800 meters and then had an asthma attack. I’ve never lost that much time on the swim in my whole career.” Reed said he had to struggle to refocus on the race, “I just tried to keep my head on straight and get back in the race at whatever it takes. It’s a four hour race and I had three hours to get it back.”

Check out his interview on Competitor Radio http://www.competitorradio.com/details.php?show=314

Fellow Suunto teammate Andy Potts finished second after a quick start in the water. Potts broke the swim course record by 47 seconds and finished number two for the second time this season.

“I am happy to set the swim course record” said Andy, “I just wanted to push all the way to the finish line and didn’t want to let off the gas at all. That’s my racing style.”

It was the second 1-2 finish for Suunto’s Reed and Potts this year. The pair also dominated the field last month in Miami finishing just three seconds apart. Both are hoping their strong starts are a good omen for 2009. “My goal is to be as consistent as possible and improve on last year’s performances” says Potts, “I’m spending more time training on my bike and building strength on my run. I want to be as strong on mile one as I am on mile six and mile 13.”

Both Reed and Potts use the Suunto t6c in their training, something they say helps them get the most out of their performance. “I am out every day to improve and to be my best” says Potts. “I have strong partners behind me, like Suunto, helping me to be my best. If you don’t have the best behind you, you don’t have a chance to be your best.”

Both Reed and Potts will compete at the St. Anthony’s Triathlon in Florida April 26th. Reed will defend his title and go for his third straight win.


No comments:

Post a Comment